Wednesday, July 20, 2011

What's the rest of the song "I love you, a bushel and a peck"?


Search
: bushel and a peck

Why: This morning, (this might make you throw up; sorry) Chandler sang the first lines thusly:
I love you, a bushel and a peck
A bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck
And then he stopped. So I continued:
A hug around the neck and a barrel and a heap
A barrel and a heap, and I'm talkin in my sleep
About yooou
And he said, "There's more to that song? My mom only knew the first 2 lines."

And I think maybe my mom only knew the first 5 lines.

Answer: Oh my goodness, it's a whole song. My world just got upended. And it's from Guys and Dolls, which I've seen several times (on stage; it's not in the movie). It was written for Guys and Dolls in 1950, and a recording by Perry Como and Betty Hutton was on the charts for 18 weeks that year.
More recently, here's Jane Krakowski singing it / stripping:
Hoo! Lyrics go like:
My heart is leapin'!
I'm having trouble sleepin'!
'Cause I love you, a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do!
Doodle oodle oodle oo.

I love you, a bushel and a peck
A bushel and a peck, go and beats me all to heck!
Beats me all to heck how I'll ever tend the farm
Ever tend the farm when I want to keep my
Arms - about you

The cows and chickens
are goin' to the dickens!
'Cause I love you a bushel and a peck
You bet your pretty neck I do
Source: All Musicals,

The More You Know: Look how darling Google is:
A bushel is a unit of dry volume = 8 dry / "corn" gallons. A peck is 2 dry gallons, 8 dry quarts, or 16 dry pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment